Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Nanny Diaries: What's the number for 9-1-1?!?

So I've been meaning to blog for a long while because it is super theraputic but I just can't think of anything to tell you! Which is crazy because I've had so much going on! I thought of a subject one morning and was planning to build on it buuuutttt then Lucy got fussy and the idea got lost in my head amid all the other stuff floating around in there. So instead of whatever great topic that might have been, I'm going to tell you about our run-in with the cops. Well...a cop. And it was more like a visit. Anyway, here we go!


Miss Rylee Potter. She is quite the character and a lot of fun!

Monday was particularly calm for a Monday; until disaster struck! DUNDUNDUUUNNNN! Rylee came home from school with a pouty look on her face. When I asked her what was wrong she slowly and sadly handed me her school folder and opened it to display her first ever red light :( After she showed me she proceeded to ask if I would tell her parents for her because she was going to GG's house and wasn't sure when she would return. To her dismay GG told her no and she had to stay to face her consequences. After that plan failed she asked to use the phone to call her friend. She told me that her mommy let's her use the phone all the time (kind of true, turns out she usually just calls them and GG) so I said yes. She dials once, twice, three times and then hurridly hangs up and tells me her friend isn't home.

She plops down on the couch to watch cartoons and after a few minutes says, "Bethany...what happens when you call the police?"

I told her that they come to your house immediately and if there isn't a real emergency, you would get in trouble. Now, I know that most of you know exactly what I'm going to say next, but at this point I hadn't put it all together yet. Because 5 year olds ask SO many questions, I didn't think anything of it.

*knock knock knock*
Who could that be knocking at this time? I thought. I opened the door to a lady cop (who, in my opinion, are scarier than man cops). This is how it went down:
Cop: We recieved a call and hang up from this number.
Me: Oh uhhh....wait, I know...Rylee? What was your friend's telephone number?
Ry: 9-1-1-10. Why?
Me: Come here and see.

Rylee came to the door and went white! The nice police lady told her why not to call the police and to never do it again. I thanked her for checking on us and closed the door. Rylee was staring listlessly at the tv. I asked if the police woman scared her.

"No!" she said defensively, "Well... maybe a little."

It's been fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment