Monday, January 10, 2011

The Nanny Diaries: Our Huge Adventure

Friday conclued my first week at my new job--I know a lot of young guys roll their eyes when babysitting is referred to as work, but I'd like to see them do it--and even though it was a crazy week, I love it! I'm in charge of three most precious little girls: Rylee, 5; Emory, 19 months; and Lucy, 5 weeks. They are good girls and no trouble at all, but my first week has been absolutely insane! So much has happened! But I've decided that at least I'm getting exposed to everything all at once so that I'll know what to do further down the road.

Monday: First day with the Potter's. Rylee and I bowled with zoo animals while her mom took baby Lucy to the doctor. While we were playing, she looked at my leopard print flats and asked "Was an animal poached to make your shoes?!" to which I replied "No" but what I was thinking was, Oh my gosh! She is so smart! What five year old uses the word poached?!

Later Rylee perfected her swinging and chalked it up to me teaching her. I didn't actually do anything but if she thinks I'm awesome for teaching her how to swing, that's cool with me! While we were outside I also learned that Emory's middle name is James. Emory JAMES POTTER. As in Harry Potter's dad! How cool is that?! Wow...I am a total nerd. 

When Mrs. Ashlee got back from the doctor she told us that Lucy had a cold and would be better in a few days.

Tuesday: Emory runs to greet me at the door. Adorable in every way! She kissed the tip of my nose and now I have to love her forever! Ashlee showed me how to clean little children and I found out that I can use it as play time if I'm ever feeling overwhelmed. Rylee, Emory and I played in the sandbox. Poor Lucy's cough was worse and she kept choaking so she was taken back to the doctor and diagnosed with RSV. Sick babies are the saddest things in the world :(

Wednesday: Rylee had to get a haircut before school started the next day so it was just me, Emory and Lucy at the house--which is how it will be everyday while Rylee is at school. About 15 minutes later when she realized she was alone, Emory started crying because she missed her mommy and, since I was not her mommy, nothing I did could console her. She ran to the door and tried to put her coat on, which sounds very logical for someone who isn't quite two, except for the fact that it was still hanging on the rack so she was just kind of dangling there on the wall (I tried to stifle a laugh but, I'm sorry, that was just too funny!). Lucy woke up in all this hooplah and decided she was hungry but I could not for the life of me find her formula! So here I am with two terribly distraught little girls and no idea how to help either one. Then *lightbulb* I remembered bath time. I filled up the tub and ploped crying Emory in and she immediately calmed down and started playing in the water. This gave me time to find Lucy's pacifier and bouncy seat. I put her in the seat and she went straight to sleep. BATH TIME IS WONDERFUL! Got Emory clean, got Lucy clean (she hates baths) and as I was putting on her clothes she got strangled on her phlegm and spit up just as Ashlee and Rylee were coming in. Poor baby!

Ps. I wasn't by myself this week. Ashlee is still on maternity leave and I'm just helping her out and learning important kidsies stuff. All this just happened to happen while she was at Rylee's hair appointment.

Thursday: Ashlee had a doctor's appointment  that morning and Rylee was back at school so once again it was me, Emory and Lucy. This time Emory was okay with just me being there. We watched Dora and Little Einsteins:Our big HUGE Adventure about twenty times before Lucy woke up and wanted to eat. She seemed better and ate a lot, but, once again, right as Ashlee walked in, she spit up everything. Ashlee took her back to the doctor to see what was up and Emory and I watched movies. Annndd she took a nap! I haven't been able to get her to take a nap all week and I finally did it! I was so proud! When Ashlee came home she told me that Lucy was being emmitted to the hospital for treatment and that Rylee's puppy, Harley, had been run over. She packed a bag for Lucy and was off to the hospital. She's a great mom. Juggles everything and stays so calm. I don't know how she does it! I'm just the nanny and I was freaking out! Mr. Ed (the Potter husband, not the horse) brought Rylee home and told her about Harley--which she handled surprisingly well, I thought--then went to help GiGi (Ashlee's mom) bury the dog. The Potter parents handled all the tough stuff and I fed Rylee and Emory ice cream and got them ready for their sleepover at GiGi's.

Friday: I walked in right as GiGi was dropping off Rylee and Emory. Rylee wasn't feeling good so her dad took care of her and I played with Emory. Ten minutes later, poor Rylee was throwing up. She felt a lot better afterwards and was outside swinging within two hours. Emory is teething so that made her a little fussy but nothing too bad. Not even a little bad. She sat in my lap for almost an hour just watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. The afternoon was pretty calm with no big events. Rylee had to get her booster shots which had her in a fit all day (not that I can blame her. Shots still make me cry and faint) and Lucy was still in the hospital but Emory took another nap so that was good!

It was a crazy week! I'm so lucky to have Ashlee there most of the day because if she hadn't been I wouldn't have had any clue what to do. Lucy got to come home Saturday so praise God! And acoording to Facebook she doing pretty good. Even though I have only known the Potter girls for a short time, I'm already in love with them! How could I not be? They are precious! Rylee even drew me a picture! I love this job! It's taught me how not to be squimish. I can change diapers, deal with spit up, wipe noses, and use the nose sucker all without gagging. Well, most of the time anyway

How's your first week back been?

No comments:

Post a Comment